Its electron geometry and its molecular geometry are both trigonal planar.
- 1 What is the molecular geometry of CH3?
- 2 Is CH3 trigonal planar?
- 3 What is the geometry of the carbon atom in CH3 +?
- 4 How do you find the molecular geometry?
- 5 What shape does the methyl cation CH3 have?
- 6 What is the bond angle in CH3?
- 7 What is hybridization in CH3+?
- 8 What is the the shape molecular geometry of PO OH 3?
What is the molecular geometry of CH3?
The:CH3 molecule retains this trigonal pyramidal geometry, having three bonding pairs and one lone pair around the C atom.
Is CH3 trigonal planar?
CH3 (methyl free radical) has a planar structure with sp2 hybridization of ‘C’ atom. (methyl carbonium ion) also has trigonal planar structure (sp2). (methyl carbanion) has tetrahedral structure (sp3) and one of the hybrid orbitals contains the lone pair of electrons.
What is the geometry of the carbon atom in CH3 +?
Explanation: The carbon atom in the ion CH+3 is sp2 hybridized carbon and therefore, the geometry around this atom is trigonal planar.
How do you find the molecular geometry?
Steps Used to Find the Shape of the Molecule
- Draw the Lewis Structure.
- Count the number of electron groups and identify them as bond pairs of electron groups or lone pairs of electrons.
- Name the electron-group geometry.
- Looking at the positions of other atomic nuclei around the central determine the molecular geometry.
What shape does the methyl cation CH3 have?
shape of methyl cation will be of trigonal planar shaped as its hybridisation is SP2 and no lone pair is present.
What is the bond angle in CH3?
CH3- is trigonal pyramidal with bond angles of slightly less than 109.5 degrees because of the lone pair, like the other molecules you mentioned.
What is hybridization in CH3+?
In CH3+ the one valency is still free, so the electrons taking part in bond forming are contained in 2s,2px,2py but 2pz don’t have any electrons so it is not participating in bonding. So hybridization is sp2 as 2p orbitals and 1s orbital are taking part in hybridization.
What is the the shape molecular geometry of PO OH 3?
The molecular geometry of PO(OH)3 is tetrahedral with asymmetric charge distribution on the central atom.